DIY Overload – UPDATED
*UPDATED 4/9/2013 to add pictures of the Farmhouse Bed complete with it’s mattress and bedding.*
I’ve spent the past couple weeks working in the garage on several projects. My parents needed a bed for their room at my sister’s new house and my sister needed a new bed too. She also has a ton of DVDs, so I wanted to make some closet dvd storage for her. My dad originally made one of these along time ago and we remembered it at our old house when we were trying to figure out where to store our movies. They are pretty easy to make (I made 2 in a couple hours last week) and are a great alternative to having furniture or closet space taken up by DVDs. (You could also use them for CDs). They hang on the inside of a closet door so they are out of sight. Below are the materials and cuts I used to build them.
Dimensions: 19.5″ Wide x 61.5″ Tall
3 – 1×6 @ 8′
3- 1/4″ Square Dowl @ 3′
2 – Over the Door Hooks (This or something similar)
1.5-2″ Wood Screws
8 – 1×6 @ 18″
2 – 1×6 @ 61.5″
8 – 1/4″ Square Dowels @ 18″
I glued and screwed 2 of the 18″ boards together for the top for added strength. Then I used screws and glue to attach the shelves to the side boards. The shelves are evenly spaced, approximately 9.25″ apart. (For CDs, you could add more shelves closer together.) Once assembled, I glued the square dowels flush to the front edge of the shelves to keep the DVDs from falling off the front. I then drilled 2 holes thru the top boards for the hooks to go thru. For the one at our old house, we painted it with our trim paint so it would match the closet door it hung on.
Here is ours hanging inside our office closet door. It’s important to make sure your door is big enough to hold it and you have room inside the closet to still close the door (for example, this usually doesn’t hang on this door because there isn’t room to close the door – I just moved it for the picture.) My sister’s doors have levers on the inside, so it has to hang closer to the hinge. Another option is to secure it straight to the door if you have solid wood doors and don’t mind the holes.
Here is a close up of the shelves. Each rack cost around $35 to build and took less than 2 hours plus finishing time.
Next, I started working on my parents’ new bed. I built this plan, which is very similar to a bed mom had been wanting. It’s the largest and “fanciest” project I’ve done so far, but it went together fairly easily. The original plans were for a queen size so I had to modify it to make a king. That mainly involved adding 16″ to all the width measurements. I also used 1×8 boards for the headboard panels instead of 1x6s.
It is painted with Satin White Latex Enamel.
The hardest part of the whole project ended up being getting it into my sister’s house. The legs made the platform about 1/4″ too large for the doorway. It was really frustrating because it was so close. We were about to take one of the legs off which would have been a disaster since they are glued, screwed and painted on, but we finally found the perfect angle to get it thru the doorway. I had to touch up the paint in a few spots, but that was much better than having to remove and replace one of the legs.
We still need to get plywood for the mattress to sit on and I’m going to add a middle leg between the 2x4s for extra support since it is a king size.
UPDATED 4/9/2013 – Here are pictures of it as it is now.
After we got that one out of the garage, I started work on my sisters bed. It is a lot less complicated and was already written for a queen size, so I didn’t have to do any modifications. The only change I did make was to use 1x6s for the legs instead of 1x3s so it would sit higher off the floor (her cats like to sleep under her bed). The original plans are Here and Here.
I painted it with RustOleum Painter’s Touch Metallic in Oil Rubbed Bronze. I really like how it looks. The wood grain shows thru some which gives it the illusion of stain. It also has a slight metallic sheen in the right light, but it’s subtle. The only downside is that the metallic flakes give it a rough texture. I contemplated putting a couple coats of poly on it, but decided to wait. Luckily, getting this one in the house wasn’t a problem ;P
She doesn’t have a queen size mattress yet, so this was taken with her full size on it. I’ll try to get better pictures with my real camera once she gets her new mattress.
Meanwhile, we saw our builder this weekend at the Parade of Homes. Their son’s house was on the parade so we stopped by to check it out. It had a lot of similarities to what I want (kitchen, trim, etc) which was nice to see. It got me really excited again about getting started. We were there for over an hour and had a good time talking and getting more information We still hadn’t seen anything from the draftsman (it’s been 7 weeks), so the builder called him on Tuesday and I sent him an email on Wednesday. We got an email from the draftsman yesterday morning which had the basic floor plan drawn. He is working on the elevations and roof now so hopefully we will see them soon. Very excited about finally seeing how the outside is going to really look. Hopefully I’ll have another post on that soon!